Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Birthday Number 1 is Right Around the Corner!

Emma's first birthday is fast approaching. I still can't believe we have her in our lives, and I'm amazed at how fast a year can fly! I remember how slowly time seemed to go when we were waiting during our IVF treatments and when we were first waiting to be chosen as an adoptive family. Now that we have our little girl, I want to freeze time, so I don't forget a thing! Funny how your perception changes!

We've been thinking about her birthday party for months now. Ok, I'VE been thinking about her party for months! I think that's a mommy thing! I went back and forth on what to plan. The initial desire was to have a huge bash--invite everyone and their brother! Decorations! Food! Cake! Presents! Our house is small. We would need another place. It might not be warm enough to have it outside. The thoughts went on and on. The more I planned in my head, however, the more I realized that Emma might get lost in the process. I want her to enjoy her day, not be overwhelmed by it. I want her to be in a familiar place. I want her to be able to take a nap if she gets tired. I know that downsizing is going to be disappointing for many family members who want to share in the joy of her first birthday. This was very difficult for me. I love to be surrounded by friends and family, and I want to show off my beautiful baby girl to everyone who loves her as much as I do! Everyone shared in the journey; they want to share in the celebration too. I hope that our beloved friends and family will understand. I know it will be a special day, and I hope she will have a great time.

Emma survived her first real cold and slight ear infection. Meds and an inhaler got her on the mend very quickly. It looks like she might have the start of an eye infection now, so we'll visit Grammy at the eye doctor's office tomorrow afternoon! Emma is an absolute hoot! She giggles like crazy and cracks herself up all the time! She loves playing with the dogs, and I think they secretly like it too! She loves to run up and throw herself on top of us when we lay on the floor, and she gets a kick out of trying to tickle our feet. Her understanding of language is just amazing, and she learns new things every day!

A lot has happened in a year. I reflect on it often--where were we a year ago? Counting down the days to delivery. My birthday is next week. That was the day we found out the day Emma would be born. So much has changed, and I am so thankful every day for the sacrifice her birth mother made. It was a rough trip, but the destination has been more than worthwhile!

No comments:

Post a Comment